Old December 12th 05, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Mountain Flying & High-Performance Resources?

Chris G. wrote:
I'm looking to find more information related to earning my
high-performance endorsement. Primarily, I'm wanting to see if there is
a good, clear, concise, simple website or book that explains the
transition (in thinking and practice) from a plane that uses only a
throttle and mixture control to a plane with throttle-prop-mixture and a
Manifold Pressure gauge. When I go up with an instructor to start on my
high-performance endorsement, I want to have some understanding of what
I'm doing, when I'm doing it, and, most importantly, WHY I'm doing it.

A great resource is the FAA Airplane Flying Handbook, chapter 11. It
covers all the info about transitioning to a complex and/or high perf
aircraft.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...lane_handbook/

Getting the throttle/prop/mixture controls will be a breeze. Be more
concerned about being comfortable with the gear system and emergency
extension procedures.

AOPA has a lot of good info on mountain flying, but you should be a
member. http://www.aopa.org