Old December 23rd 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default "Must Have" Tools for Christmas

In article UuAqf.67976$sg5.36718@dukeread12,
"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote:

So when are ya gonna get the good stuff like Central Machinery?
Y'know, I could get hurt asking questions like that

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

I really don't know anything about the hobby machines, but I've always
been curious. In many cases I'm sure I could live with some reduction of
power and precision, - at least for making airplane parts - but I'd
suffer without the automation.

When digital readouts came along, I thought we were in tall cotton. Then
we got the Bridgeport EZ traks (cnc) and we felt like we'd emerged from
the dark ages. I don't think I could dial off a bolt circle anymore, let
alone use a rotary table to make an arc. And I can't remember the last
time we rotated a rotating vise.

I don't think the machining center is going to have an advantage over
the EZ trak for making one or two parts, but it'll sure speed up
production work.

Anyway for now, I don't have room (or money) at home for a machine, so
I'll have to continue to make the 3 1/2 mile drive down to the shop when
something that can't wait til Monday needs more than a file or a hand
drill.