Old March 25th 04, 03:19 AM
Donald Ramsey

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

wrote in message ...

What if I file direct between two VORs that are 180 miles apart, I
am cleared as filed, then while proceeding between those two
VORs, ATC radar goes down?

Then ATC will put you on an appropriate nonradar routing, probably on
airways.

When radar fails, do ATC folks have at their avail the last recorded
positions of all aircraft or a computed projection (coast?), or do
all the screens just go black? :O I don't doubt that most controllers
can revert back to non-radar procedures and successfully handle traffic,
I'm just curious how the transition would occur.

--Don