Old February 4th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Default 1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

"Dave S" wrote in message nk.net...

The SQ2000 guy was flying a rotary (mazda derivative) engine that had what the rotary community believes was an
intermittent fuel supply program and was in flight test at the time. The aircraft had made one dead-stick due to
what the community assumed was a vapor lock. This was a fairly low altitude turn back and landing on-field but
off-runway. After some re-work on the fuel system he went up again, and on one of the subsequent flights weeks
later lost power very low, and tried to make another low turn back to the runway. He ended up in trees.

The rotary powered aircraft community participated in both the NTSB investigation and afterwards several purchased
the airframe from the widow and did additional information gathering. Nothing definitive was determined from a
cause standpoint, but one of the fuel injectors (which was used, not new) was found to be faulty from a flow
standpoint.

Dave S

It makes me feel bad that I can't recall his name. I tried a Google search of the newsgroup archives and didn't find
it.

Joe Schneider
8437R