Old April 20th 04, 04:20 AM
John Clonts

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"John Clonts" wrote in message

Ok, then I'm asking you: "Is the turn around the hold legally required
here?"

I don't think so. A procedure turn is "the maneuver prescribed when it is
necessary to reverse direction to establish an aircraft on the

intermediate
approach segment or final approach course." Obviously it isn't necessary

reverse direction in this case. Part 91 states when a procedure turn may
not be flown, it has not a word on when a procedure turn must be flown.

I see what you mean, and that makes sense to me. But the sentence following
that one in AIM 5-4-8a. is "The procedure turn or hold in lieu of procedure
turn is a required maneuver." What do you suppose is meant by that? Or do
you invoke "the AIM is not regulatory" to dispatch it?

Thanks,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ