Old February 26th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default OT - Plasma TV question

Jay Honeck wrote:

Yes, and many projectors don't do well with normal ambient light levels
during the daytime. And the projectors that do handle this well, tend
to eat those $200 light bulbs are a high rate. Unless this will be in
an area that Jay can keep a little dark, I'd shy away from a projector.
They simply generate the light levels required for daytime use in a
room with unshaded windows.

Well, this is inside a windowless meeting room -- so keeping light out
is a simple matter.

Sounds ideal.

Do the projection TVs need a special screen, or can you just project
the picture on a painted white wall?

They don't need a special screen, but everyone I know will strongly
suggest one. The screen really makes the display work well and they
aren't cheap either and come in a variety of colors, gain values, etc.

There are three options with a projector:

1. Use a plain white wall. This is a very poor option.

2. Use a special paint made for projectors. This is a mediocre option.

3. Use a special screen made for projectors. This is by far the best
option, but also by far the most costly. A decent screen will start at
close to a grand.

However, many reviews I've seen say if you are going to scrimp, scrimp
on the projector and not the screen. A good screen will last 20 years.
The projector will be obsolete in 3. And each dollar spent on the
screen will return much more viewing quality than an additional dollar
spent on the projector.

Matt