Old March 22nd 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default strength calculations for a step

In article . net,
Richard Lamb wrote:

Ernest Christley wrote:
I can't figure this one out.

I want to add a retractable step that will stick out of the fuselage at
a 40 degree from vertical angle. It sticks out 10" and is made of 3/4"
square, .065 thick, 4130 tube. Assuming no weakness in the support,
will this support a 300lb man (me with all my luggage on my back), and
how can you tell?

I think it's the "assuming no weakness in the support" part that has
everybody tongue tied.

The square tube sees healthy enough.

It's the "rest of the story" that will make a difference.

Well, if I'm tongue-tied, it's mostly because I don't know why he wants
a step that sticks out from vertical at some angle other than 90 degrees.