Old May 27th 04, 05:01 AM
Teacherjh

but then the same argument applies to flying
in actual IMC and especially to flying in night-time actual IMC

The hood (badly) simulates IMC. How would you simulate a circling approach?
Anything which works would be ok with me (including a more expensive simulator,
or a real airplane). It is a task that should be tested.

I also think that to get the instrument rating, some night IMC or hood time
should be included. I'd leave this as an optional task for an IPC, based on
the performance on other tasks and the recency of other night experience and
other night IMC experience.

I agree completely that a combination of simulator and airplane time is
ideal, just like training in IMC is ideal. Does that mean an IPC should be
impossible to obtain in a flight training device or an IFR rating should be
impossible to obtain under the hood?

No, of course not. But it should require a device that does what it needs to
do. If you use a simulator, it should simulate all the tasks. If the
simulator doesn't simulate all the tasks, this should be remedied by modifying
the simulator, not the tasks. Ditto if the hood doesn't work.

the issue at hand is whether it is reasonable to
change the rules in the middle of the game

It's always the middle of the game.

Jose