Old March 26th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Submitting flights to the OLC

So what's to stop someone from setting up and "flying" a task in Condor
Simulator and capturing the flight in SeeYou Mobile or other software on the
PDA? Do you get a valid G-record that way?

"Doug LS4" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, you don't need a secure data logger for OLC. Mobile SeeYou
works just fine, as do a number of other flight software programs (some
are even free).

You're point is well taken. There is no more need for secure data
loggers in OLC than for secure data loggers for (most?) badges.
Nevertheless, you have to play by whatever rules the rulemakers decide
on.

Doug

(saving up my pennies for a 302, that's a lot of pennies)

Greg Arnold wrote:
Lorry wrote:
I have had great difficulty successfully downloading flights from my
Cambridge Model 25 data logger to the OLC. Apparently, my "Cambridge
file does not contain a G-record or the G-record file is not suited for
validation with the FAI supplied software" (quoted from Official
Comment from OLC). Their recommendtion is to use a special software
(for each submition) which involves 7 steps which, for me at least, is
far from straight forward. I am trying to do this through "SeeYou"
which was a snap last year but not now! I am only one of several
pilots submitting flights from the Senior Contest who are experiencing
this problem. Does anyone know of a practicle solution?

Lorry (LJ)

Now that the SSA is affiliated with the OLC, maybe we can get the SSA to
pressure the OLC to go back to the way it was last year, when you didn't
need a secure logger to get credit for your flight. The OLC security
requirements are a solution in search of a problem -- there aren't many
pilots who are going to fake a flight trace just to get a few more OLC
points. The OLC's love of pointless technology is well illustrated by
the 5 numbers you now must type in when you want to view a flight log.

Incidentally, the 7-step-song-and-dance for CAI 20/25 files actually
takes less than 5 minutes once you get the hang of it, though for the
last week the OLC software seems unable to validate such files.