Old June 1st 04, 12:48 AM
Dan Truesdell

You are correct about my watch dying, but the clock in the plane can
(and did) die. When the panel clock is working, I'm flying with triple
redundancy. The problem is that the "official" clock (which I can
legally fly IFR using it as the only timer in the plane) is a poor
excuse for a timer. That what I find silly. As I stated in my earlier
post, we have 2 timers on the panel, and I always wear my watch, any of
which is much more usable than the Cessna clock on the panel. We are
replacing it with an L-2 digital. Doesn't solve the location problem,
but does provide us with a much more usable device. We'll still keep
the Westbends, but now we'll have a more useful backup.

Judah wrote:
Dan Truesdell wrote in news:40BBB5F8.1090404
@ceaPLsofAtwNarEe.cSom:

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that you need to have an "official" clock
in the plane to fly actual. Doesn't mean that you have to use it, but I
believe it has to be there and has to be working. We are replacing ours
right now. (Seems like a silly reg.)

Why is that silly? Imagine... You're holding over your MAP point waiting
for your next opportunity to shoot. All of a sudden, the battery in your
watch decides to go out. What do you do then? Without the clock in the
plane, you'd probably have to inform ATC and become a real PITA...

Yeah, it might be a longshot, but Murphy's law dictates that if the battery
is going to die in flight, it's going to happen during a critical point...

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.