Old April 4th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default PSRU design advantages

Richard Lamb wrote:

But then the topic is resonance, isn't it.
And?
With the exception of combinations which are known to have
engine/prop/AIRFRAME
resonance issues (hint, hint, hint), certified engines avoid that trap
entirely
(well, mostly?).

I'm glad to add the "(well, mostly?)", because I could read that as "not
at all". What you do have with a certified engine is a situation where
the prop manufacturer has tested their prop with that engine. It's a
well studied combination that everyone knows how to work with.

For instance, you can't cut a metal prop down but so far. Why? Because
everyone knows where that resonant point is, and cutting the prop down
to 70" will land you smack-dab in the middle of patooky when one of the
blades comes off.

But build a new prop of your own design, sufficiently different from the
typical prop...then it doesn't matter if you put it on a certified
powerplant or the front of your Oldsmobile. Unless you have the
facilities to test it, its longevity is just guesswork.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make