Old April 17th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default LAX?

In article ,
(Dane Spearing) wrote:

Has anyone ever flown a light single into LAX?

Yes. Jake Hauserman ) did it as a teenager and
documented the trip on a DVD called Fly Jake (unfortunately not
available on the Internet, but was on sale at San Val near VNY not long
ago). He did it VFR.

If so, would you care to
offer some advice? In a few months, I've got a relative who is flying into
LAX from overseas, and I would much rather fly in to pick them up rather
than face the madhouse we call "driving to LAX". Do they prefer IFR or
VFR arrivals? There are two FBO's listed: Mercury and Landmark. Is one
better than the other? How about landing fees? What would they charge for
a quick in-and-out to pick someone up?

I agree with the other respondents: if you're going for practical
reasons rather than the coolness factor you should fly into Hawthorne
instead. But if you want to fly to LAX it's not really a big deal
(except that you need to be on top of your game). It's probably a good
idea to phone the tower ahead of time to get the latest procedures and
let them know you're coming.

rg