Old June 18th 04, 05:01 PM
Jon Parmet

(Christopher C. Stacy) wrote in message ...
The Democratic National Convention is coming to Boston in July.

The Boston Globe today reported that the FAA is going to restrict
all air traffic within 30 nm of Boston: no private aircraft will
be allowed to operate in the airspace. The main thrust of the
story was that this restriction included all the helicopters
used by the traffic reporting services and television news.

You see, ground traffic is being restricted into Boston as well,
including all the major roads and highways being closed in all
directions for dozens of miles around, the public transit system
being shut down in many places, and the mayor and other officials
basically saying, "Boston is closed this week, all businesses
should shut down and everyone please just stay out of the city."

Tell me about it! I work in Cambridge and use public transportation
through cities like Malden,Medford,Somerville which as you know are
just outside the DMZ (Democractic Mess Zone). Those areas are already
clusterf*cks every weekday during rush hour; I don't want to even
imagine all those thousands of additional cars being pre-empted off
93.

Of course, the local town officials are getting into it now, saying
they'll shut down their local roads if they don't get assistance
(additional police, etc.). Everyone's just getting way to caught up in
the 'process' and 'turf' and 'wagging their authority' and over what?
Basically, a party is all it is...

Oh, then there's the probability of having to take a shuttle from BOS
to DCA or IAD for a meeting?!!??? I guess the last nail in the coffin
would be some weather that week as well, as if the choke points aren't
enough already.

Nothing like this has ever been done here,

Gee, I wonder why. What's the old saying? Just because you can doesn't
mean you should....

and all the road closings and traffic re-routing to go around Boston
is going to be a terrible mess.

I think it's time to just WALK up to NH that week. I don't wanna be
anywhere near this...