Old May 10th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

"Ted" wrote:

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
I have argued with Ron before that, given reasonable, personal integrety
checks, I would be safer flying a VOR overlay approach with my Garmin
296 than with a light tin VOR receiver.

I won't disagree that when each system is working properly, an
approach with GPS (especially a moving map), is easier (thus perhaps
safer) than a VOR approach. But the point is that if a GPS satellite
malfunctions all bets are off. Hence the need for RAIM or equivalent.

Ron Lee

Is RAIM the only thing that can do that job?

Does WAAS identify a failed satellite and compensate for it?

Yes WAAS takes care of the integrity requirement.

Ron Lee