Old May 22nd 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying through Canadian airspace

Mike Schumann wrote:
About 5 years ago I flew from Detroit to Rochester VFR over Canada. I filed
a VFR flight plan and used flight following the entire way. At that time
there was no charge for Canadian ATC if you didn't land in Canada. Things
may have changed since then.

One thing that was interesting is that north of Lake Erie, ATC was provided
by Cleveland Center eventhough I was over Canda. near Niagra Falls I was
passed off to Toronto Center, and then back to the US when I got back into
the US.

I flew from Elmira to Detroit several years ago and also overflew Canada
for part of the trip. I never talked to a Canadian ATC facility, which
I thought was surprising.

Matt