Old June 7th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Dumb & Dumber

("Dave Stadt" wrote)
Even the Beetle offered one as an option. The standard heater was a joke.
I spent a couple of winters in the late '60s with a brand new Beetle with
the stock heater and after that I will never own a Volkswagen product. We
used to open the windows in below zero temperatures to warm up.

On your 7 year old "winter beater" in 1978:

Saw-off, where the hot air tube in the engine bay splits (to run warm air
under the OUTSIDE floorboards!!!). Connect a hairdryer type metal hose to
that hot air tube stump. Run it through the rear firewall, up the roofline,
and down behind the rearview mirror. There, warmish air on the dash. A
longer hose will keep your feet toasty - in theory. :-)

I drove my VW Bugs with a 3M mask on and the windows open - until I hit the
Freeway, then I'd close the window (almost) all the way. This was a perfect
way to prevent the windshield from frosting up. Another helpful trick was a
metal school bus fan screwed onto the dash. g

Mittens and snowmobile boots came off in March. Hat came off in April.

Good car in snow! Always started.

Montblack