Old June 14th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default O/A welding question: tip size

"mhorowit" wrote in message
ups.com...

Morgans wrote:

too much oxygen
--
Jim in NC

Hello Jim - If I simply reduce the O2 at the handle, I'll get a
carburizing flame, right? I need a neutralized flame - MIke

This group has had many good descriptions of how to get the proper flame;
you might want to look it up. Yes, it should be neutral.

To give the short version, the inner flame should have a soft, feathered
edge, not a sharp, defined edge, and it should be a "quiet" flame.

If it makes soot, there is not enough O. If it burns the metal, (sparkles)
there is too much O.

You might need to move faster, take the flame further from the work, get the
filler metal in there faster, so it will get to the business of melting, or
even take the flame away for a second, every few seconds.
--
Jim in NC