Old June 14th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.student

Default CFII oral exam guide questions?

In article ,
Jose wrote:

The time domain and the frequency domain are related conventionally
through a mathematical manipulation called the Fourier Transform.

That may be true, but is also a ten dollar irrelevancy. The phase
difference directly relates to the time difference. Operationally, the
circiuitry employs phase relationships rather than a little man with a
fast stopwatch, but new pilots attempting to understand the concept of
VOR navigation don't need to understand RF electronics to "get" the idea
behind the VOR, especially in contrast to the ADF or DME. I find the
analogy completely apt.

I honestly don't see why a pilot needs to know anything beyond, "A VOR
transmits 360 radials, and the NAV receiver can tell which one you're on".

Unlike some of the physics half-truths the FAA pushes, I can't see how this
little white lie could possibly get you into any operational trouble. It
doesn't get in the way of understanding VOR declination, or service
volumes, or scalloping due to signal reflections, or reverse sensing, or
the zone of confusion, or any of a number of little VOR gotchas that pilots
do need to be aware of.