Old June 14th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default procedure turns revisited

wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:

The August 4, 2005, Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) revision to
paragraph 5-4-9a, Procedure Turn, has generated pilot comments that
indicate the text may be misleading and could possibly cause deviation
from the requirements of 14 CFR Part 91.175(j).

I'm still missing something here. 91.175 doesn't say when you have to
do a procedure turn, just when you can't. The erroneous AIM doesn't
conflict with 91.175 as far as I can tell.

You appear to have missed the first part of 91.175.

According to FAR 91.175(a):
"Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, when an instrument
letdown to a civil airport is necessary, each person operating an
aircraft, except a military aircraft of the United States, shall use a
standard instrument approach procedure prescribed for the airport in
part 97 of this chapter."

AIM Interpretation: if the approach procedure indicates a procedure
turn, you must use it.

Exceptions according to FAR 91.175(j):
"In the case of a radar vector to a final approach course or fix, a
timed approach from a holding fix, or an approach for which the
procedure specifies 'No PT,' no pilot may make a procedure turn unless
cleared to do so by ATC."