Old June 16th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Backup alternator PA28-235...

Point taken, but the original poster sounded like he owned his own plane. He
could probably spend the same amount of money on getting a new alternator
every year for ten years and still come out ahead. Or he could get a new
alternator and fix other problems that are more likely to cause a problem. I
will take a well maintained single of a bucket of bolts twin any day.

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
Aluckyguess wrote:
Why would you need an extra one. Wouldn't you just land at the nearest
airport if you where IMC.

Aren't you the optomist.

I've lost the alternator on a single engine solid IFR flight over the
mountains one night and it ain't much fun. I got down OK before the
battery went dead but it was definitely nerve wracking. That's why I like
twins. It's not the extra engine so much as the extra alternator and
vacuum pump. I've only had a very few engine failures over the years but
I've had several alternators and vacuum pumps go TU.

When you fly crap as a freight dog you learn to appreciate redundancy.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE