Old July 1st 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Kraus

Default Cell Phone Hedset Adapters

I think it is a bit strange that for an airport that is otherwise pretty
modern that they still do the whole AWOS / NDB thing.... The airport we
left has a very nice AWOS setup .... even had a setup on the internet
for graphical display of the AWSO... Got spoiled on that... But UMP is
less than 10 minutes from the house and hangers are .01 AMU cheaper a
month so the move will be a good one overall... I jsut have to figure
out a way to get the danged weather while airborn...

I didn't know that the cell phone would not work while airborn....

Jon

Jay Honeck wrote:

We now have 43H based at an airport where the AWOS is broadcast over
their NDB.

Wow, I haven't seen *that* for a long time.

Since 43H no longer has an ADF I'd like to see about getting
a cellphone to headset adapter and see if I can dial up the AWOS instead.

Denny outlined how the Lightspeed cell adaptors work (quite well -- the
sound quality is excellent) -- but you do know they don't work in the
air, right?

I'm not sure how much utility you'll get from an AWOS that can only be
accessed from the ground.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA