Old July 10th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.misc
Peter Stickney[_1_]

Default What Airplane Is This?

Eugene Griessel wrote:

Dale wrote:

In article ,
"John A. Weeks III" wrote:

They are not B-24 or PB4Y-2s. My bet would be on a Shorts
Sunderland...Kermit has one that he flew into Fantasy of Flight.

Definitely not a Sunderland - or any of the Empire series of boats
either. Although that was my first guess after B-24. Nor a Kawanishi
Emily either. Very intriguing - the fuselages do appear to have
suffered considerable modifications.

My first thought was that it was a pair of P4Y-2 noses - the USCG had some
modified with a rather blunt greenhouse up front, instead of the Erco
turret.
But that didn't quite fit.
Then I pondered a bit more - those airfoil shaped areas near the top aren't
for antenna fairings - there's too much structure there.
But those openings aren't enough for wings.
I think what we've got here is a pair of Blimp Gondola foward sections -
either K-ship (ZPK) or N-Ship (ZPG) - they both had similar shapes, but
different sizes - the N ships had 2 story gondolas.

--
Pete Stickney
Without data, all you have is an opinion