Old November 8th 04, 08:01 PM
Nathan Young

On 8 Nov 2004 09:56:25 -0800, (David B. Cole) wrote:

Those of you who live in the Northeast know that the winds have been
gusting upwards of 30 kts the past few days, but yesterday morning
brought calm winds and great viz, with forecasts showing that the
strong winds would return by 11am. The trip out was smoother than we
expected. Before reaching Reading PA, we picked up the Lancaster ATIS,
which stated that the visual approach was in use at Lancaster. I asked
the Reading controller whether he could coordinate an instrument
approach with the Harrisburg controller, which he did.

Once we were handed off to the Harrisburg controller we were told to
expect the VOR/DME 26 approach. As we continued inbound to Lancaster I
realized that we were still at 4000' about 10 miles out. Then we were
switched over to the tower, at which point he made it clear that I was
cleared for the visual approach. When I told him that I was expecting
the VOR/DME approach he sent me back to the approach controller.

Two things that may help for this situation in the futu
#1. Only ask for your approach with the controller that is
responsible for your destination. Granted this isn't always possible,
but it does help reduce confusion. For example, when approaching 3CK
(which is in the NW Chicago suburbs) from the South, I talk to 3
Chicago approach controllers (119.35 then 133.50 then 120.55). If I
enter a request with 19.35, they've long since lost that request by
the time I get to 20.55.

(you may have done this - it isn't clear from the posting).
#2. When making the request - make sure to tell the controller you
want the approach for practice or currency purposes. Otherwise if it
is VFR, or if winds favor another runway, or if they switch
controllers, etc... The approach facility will probably try to get
you back to a visual, especially if there is a handoff from approach
to approach before tower.

-Nathan