Old November 11th 04, 07:52 PM
John R. Copeland

"Dave Butler" wrote in message =
Another GNS480 related question.
=20
I've emailed Jeppesen and looked on their website, but the website is=20
inscrutable and they haven't responded to my email yet.
=20
What's the mechanism for getting database updates on the GNS480? Is it =

their=20
Skybound II process? Does it work OK?
=20
What's the database cost?

A) Continue to urge Jeppesen to rationalize their website.

B) You execute your installed copy of Jeppesen's Skybound program,
it connects to Jeppesen's secure server to get an unlock key
corresponding to your particular subscription, and then,
(assuming you're using a broadband connection)
downloads the current update, and loads it into your Compact Flash card.
(You should receive a universal CF Reader/Writer along with your =
GNS-480.)
Later, the US Postal Service will deliver you a useless CD,
which you presumably could use in place of the broadband-download =
process.

C) As with paper-chart subscriptions, the cost depends upon your =
coverage.
Expect to pay something in the $300 - $500 per year range.

Ask Jeppesen about their as-yet-unannounced NavSuite product.
As I heard, it may offer you a more "cafeteria-style" plan,
allowing you to tailor multiple products into your subscription,
perhaps saving you some money versus "standard" packages.
A few months ago, I heard that NavSuite had been postponed
to sometime early in 2005, but I've not asked about it recently.
---JRC---