Old September 8th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Default Hood and sim work at night loggable as night time?

Ron Garret wrote:
My instructor claims that when you fly under the hood at night you can't
log it as night time, only as simulated instrument time. Is he right?
I can't find anything in the FARs to support his assertion.

He's wrong. Night / Day are independent of Instrument conditions.

What about simulator time at night? Can you log that as night time?

That's a different issue. I suspect that if it is a true SIMULATOR
(i.e. one of those full motion jet types) you might be able to count
it. However, a "training device" that we normally use for GA training
wouldn't count for anything that "night time" logging would be useful
and they don't really give a day/night presentation. Are you going
to log it because you did your simulator work after sundown or because
the clock on the simulator was set to midnight?