Old September 10th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

"Grumman-581" writes:

No, real instrument flying is learning to believe what the instruments are
telling you even though your body is telling you something completely
different... I remember in one of my first instrument lessons (in actual
solid IMC) that even though I had the instruments perfectly centered for
straight and level flight, my butt was telling that I was in a turn... If I
had followed my feelings, I would have probably ended up in a descending
spiral...

The opposite can also happen. I have heard that people who have spent
years in simulation and then decide to go for a pilot's license tend
to spend too much time watching the instruments (although that depends
to some extent on what type of simulation they've been doing).