Old September 29th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default CFII Loses Medical

You must fly most of your instrument training in actual or
simulated conditions.

A CFI or CFII does not need a medical to instruct.
A safety pilot IS required for simulated instrument
conditions. That safety pilot is required to be qualified
with at least a private pilot certificate and a category and
class rating in the airplane.

Your CFII could instruct from the back seat and your buddy,
a private pilot, could be the safety pilot in the front
seat.

Your CFII can instruct in simulators.

You should find a CFII with a medical for the smoothest
training. Who owns the airplane and buys the insurance?

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in
message ...
| I'm roughly 15 hours into my Instrument training, with a
friend who is a
| former Eastern and Kiwi pilot. Yesterday he had triple
bypass surgery. We
| discussed what to do, since I would like to continue my
training with him.
| We seem to be very compatible.
|
| As far as either of us can tell from the FARs, little has
changed except
| that he can no longer serve as PIC, which means that I
will need to fly with
| someone else in IMC. However, it is not completely clear
about simulated
| instrument conditions. Sec. 91.109 states that:
|
| "No person may operate a civil aircraft in simulated
instrument
| flight unless--
| (1) The other control seat is occupied by a safety
pilot who
| possesses at least a private pilot certificate with
category and class
| ratings appropriate to the aircraft being flown."
|
| No mention is made as to whether or not that "possessed"
certificate needs
| to be current. Furthermore we can find nothing elsewhere
in the regulations
| about this. Any thoughts? Can I fly with my foggles on,
with Ken in the