Old October 8th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Default How can we "fix" LEX to prevent wrong runway selection everywhere?

Every computer is only as smart as its programmers and operators.

As such, even if there were some sort of automated method for communicating
instructions to the plane, so long as the instructions are being made by
human ATC controllers to human Pilots, the only thing that would have changed
in the case of LEX is that the takeoff clearance was made through something
other than a mic click. Even if the pilots would have had to enter their
takeoff runway into the computer, they could have entered it improperly, or
the system might not have been able to identify their problem in enough time
for them to safely stop in 3000' anyway...

The Star Trek days are yet to come.

"Jim Carter" wrote in news:001d01c6e833$26b414f0
$4001a8c0@omnibook6100:

As it is now however, the only checks and balances are all human. I'm
not sure it shouldn't remain that way, but at the same time if some
technical solution isn't developed by the industry then the politicians
and lawyers will develop one for us. We all know how well those work...