Old October 9th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Dylan Smith

Default The Most Expensive Ironing Boards in the World...

On 2006-10-06, Jay Honeck wrote:
"Is all that oil normal?"

Interestingly, we were only 1/2 quart down on the dipstick.

A little oil, when smeared over the side of the aircraft, goes a long
way. I once did a stupid pilot trick (was interrupted during my preflight and
forgot to replace the oil filler cap/dipstick on the C140!) and on
landing a short time later discovered what looked like a gallon of oil
coating the side and belly of the aircraft. However, not much had
actually been blown out the engine. Fortunately, the cap/dipstick was
still where this idiot had left it - on top of the engine!