Old November 4th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Stories Like this Bug Me

Kyle Boatright wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15542143/

"More than half of U.S. commercial airports don't have a 1,000-foot margin
at the end of a runway, an overrun area the federal government says is
needed as a safety zone, according to a new report."

"Part of the problem is that airports were built in congested urban areas
and have no room to lengthen their runways."

Repeat after me: "THE AIRPORT WAS THERE FIRST!!". Most airports were built
out in "the sticks" decades ago. In the ensuing decades, urban areas grew up
around the airports.

Too bad no contact address given so the story could be rebutted.

Stop listening. The argument that "the airport was there first" has
long since been dead. Its been proven time and time again that it
doesn't make a difference. If you just want something to be ****ed
about, be my guest but history shows that its not a productive position
to take.
I'm park Osage, the "we were here first" arguement didn't work well
there either.

-Robert