Old November 5th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
DDAY

Default Where are the (retired) carriers?

----------
In article , "Jim"
wrote:

The America (CV(A)-66) is no more. She was sunk off the coast to provide
vital information for future carrier construction.

I was aware of that. However, most of the Google images are a number of
years old.

I should have clarified a bit: where are the retired supercarriers? Where's
the Forrestal, Independence, etc? I thought that they were all kept at
Philly and not yet scrapped, but I cannot find them.

I've already found the Midway (in Oakland, before her move to SD), Hornet,
Lexington, Yorktown, Intrepid (moving five miles in a few days so she can be
cleaned and painted), and a number of active carriers. I've also found the
Oriskany, prior to her sinking. But I have not found the big carriers.