Old November 9th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Firewall Insulation Material??

DonMorrisey wrote:
Hey Everyone. I am looking for a good quality insulating material for
my firewall. I am interested in something that will effectively block
sound and heat. I've looked at what Spruce and Wicks has available but
I'm wondering what some other builders may have used that has worked
well and is relatively easy to install. All comments and leads
appreciated, especially anyone that has flown their application and is
happy with the result.

I guess I need to insulate the rest of the airplane too, so any
comments on that are welcome as well.

Thanks. Don...

While I haven't used it on an aircraft, my mechanic used a thin foil
insulation material on my car after I experimented with how well it
would float. (It didn't).

After the interior was all out and treated, he told me this stuff he
got at the hardware store was better than the original foam matting. It
was about 1/4" thick with foil on both sides and a sort of bubble tape
center section. It came prepared with adhesive on one side so you could
peel-and-stick. He got it at home depot or lowes or something. He was
right, it works, and it was cheap. Not sure what it was, but you might
just buy a bit of it at the store and hold it over a candle to see if
it fits the bill.

-Matt