Old November 14th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default safer than power flying?

I think this is a case of asking the wrong question. 99% of accidents in
both gliders and GA airplanes are caused by pilot error. To quote Pogo, "we
have met the enemy and he is us".

Airplane pilot tend to fly more and, critically, make more landings than
glider pilots. Many glider pilots make fewer than 20 flights per year. The
relative lack of currency by glider pilots leads to a higher accident rate
than would otherwise be the case. If you compared pilots with equal
experience and currency, I think you would find glider flying would be
safer.

Although there are differences in the machines we fly and the conditions
under which we fly them, mechanical contributions to the accident rate are
swamped by pilot error.

Bill Daniels

wrote in message
oups.com...
The following, from _Sails in the Sky_, caught my attention:

"Is sailplaning safer than power flying?" someone asked.

"We think so," said Jones. "You're not moving as fast, there is no
danger of an engine conking out, no chance of fire. And when you soar,
you have to keep your mind on what you're doing. In power flying some
pilots count on the throttle to get them home, and they get into
trouble. In soaring you know you have to keep mentally sharp to work
yourself back to the airport."

True? False?

Johan Larson