Old November 22nd 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
JohnO

Default Helicopter Simulators ------ OT for Kevin or anyone

boB wrote:
JohnO wrote:

Let us know how that goes.

What if any good pc based helicopter simulators are any good?

I've only flown MS's FS2002 and FS9 helicopters so I don't have any
experience with any other Sims. FS9 is not near realistic but I've read
that DODO Sim
http://www.dodosim.com/reviews.html
has tweaked a Bell 206 to realistically display Settling With Power,
Torque effect, Hot Starts, etc. I haven't bought it so I can't say much
about it. I do know I can neutralize my pedals, take my feet off
completely, and fly a traffic pattern in the FS9 Bell 206. Sometimes
the landing has some ground speed and my nose is not always lined up but
at any rate it's not realistic.

I did read at Hovercontrol.com they have had helicopter student pilots
who took the Hovercontrol Helicopter instruction course and then
actually hovered an actual helicopter with only 3 hours of real world
instruction. I don't know, it took me a bit longer than that, but if
true it says there is some benefit to FS9 as a training device for
procedures at least. Some rote knowledge of how the controls work I guess.

With the meds I'm taking my flying days may be over but I'm still hoping
to someday buy a GyroPlane and do some cross country exploring. My Army
retirement and my disability pay doesn't make me rich but then again,
maybe some day.......

Hey boB, surely you can still fly as long as you have a suitably rated
co-pilot?