Old December 1st 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Default panel Dimmer

Really? Hmmm ... seems to me I was listening to the news coming home in the
car tonight on the AM radio band. And, since the AM broadcast band will be
listening to lower harmonics of a switching supply (i.e. stronger signals)
AND the AM radio in the car wasn't fitted with a noise blanker (as most
aircraft radios are) AND we don't use shielded ignition in the automobile
world, I'd expect a lot of interference. ANd yet the news came through just
fine.

Tellaya what. Having designed and installed switching dimmers in aircraft,
I think I can tell you that the interference problem is minimal compared to
other sources of noise in the aircraft.

Switching dimmers are the way to go. Shielded wires are not necessary.

Jim

"Rob Turk" wrote in message
.. .

You're right, but there's one difference with automotive installations.
The radio's are usually FM, which is a lot less susceptible to
interference. Aircraft radios are AM and it takes a lot less spurious
signal to upset them. If you want to try it, prepare for good ground path
and shielded wires.

Rob