Old December 2nd 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Travis Marlatte

Default Fixes provided in routing for IFR flight plans - VFR waypoints okay?

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Sam Spade writes:

With intelligent preflight planning and intelligent use of RNAV, the
odds of SAR finding a downed VFR aircraft aircraft are very good
especially when the ELT doesn't work.

If I put specific waypoints on my VFR flight plan and fly them, I'd
expect that SAR would be able to go directly to the point where I went
down, or nearly so. That's a lot easier and faster than searching
thousands of square miles.

SAR is not going to be able to go directly to the point where you went down.
All they know is when where you started from, where you were going, and how
you were planning to get there. When SAR is initiated 1/2 hour after you
don't arrive, they have the entire route to search. But, at least they have
a route to search. The closer to the center line of that planned route you
are when you go down, the better the odds of them finding you. Lat/long
fixes or formal NAVAID fixes, it doesn't really matter.

--
Travis