Old December 4th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default MS Flight Sim As a Training Tool

Jay Masino writes:

I think I have to agree with Jon. Flying a non precision approach in
heavy rain, down to minimums, knowing that every decision you make might
kill you and your passenger... that's real.

Spoken like someone who hasn't been in a good simulator.

Someone who has actually done this in a simulator a few times will be
a lot better equipped to face it in real life, should he ever have to.
Someone who shuns simulators because he thinks the experience doesn't
count unless he's sick with fear is going to be caught completely off
guard when bad things happen, and not only will he be terrified of
making the wrong move, he won't know what the right move is supposed
to be.

Besides, as I've already said, the best pilots are the least emotional
pilots. If you're frothing at the mouth with emotion in some delicate
situation aloft, you're going to make mistakes no matter how good you
are.

Contrary to what you might think from watching movies or reading
novels, the more emotional you are in an emergency, the more likely
you are to die.