Old December 16th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
BT

Default Commercial 250nm VFR flight - all 3 landings on the same day?

In the US,

Cross Country definition for a rating requirement 61.1(b)(3)D(ii)(B),50nm

Distance and landings: 61.129(a)(4)(i), "SOLO" One "flight" or Trip, of at
least 300nm with landings at a minimum of three points, at least one landing
250nm straight line from the original departure point

To meet this requirement I flew from Lea Vegas NV, to Mesquite (NE of Las
Vegas) to "stage the aircraft" and there declared the beginning of my trip.
I flew from Mesquite to Leverne-Brackett CA (my first landing) and had a
late breakfast with friends at the airport. From there to Gillespie Field in
SanDiego CA to meet another friend. Gillespie is more than 250nm straight
line from Mesquite and my second landing. I then refueled and returned to
Las Vegas (VGT) NV, more than enough distance for my 300nm total required
and my 3rd landing. At that point I declared my "trip" complete for the
requirement of 61.129(a)(4)(i)

BT

"Peter" wrote in message

"Jim Macklin" wrote

But nowhere in the regulation does
it say "one day" so as long as the flights are all legs
longer than 50 miles and the longest is 250 miles straight
line from the departure, you should be OK.

Thank you Jim - but where is the requirement for all legs to be over
50nm?

When I did the IFR x/c for the IR, we did the flight with an initial
250nm leg and then flew to a nearby airport to achieve the three
different IAPs.

In fact I can't see why the three landings cannot all be done at the
same airport, say 300nm+ away from the point of departure.