Old December 26th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Alan Gerber

Default IFR Cancellation Question

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Is that really a necessary demarcation if approach is going to hand me off
to the tower?

What do you mean by hand you off to the tower? A handoff is a radar
function.

I mean tell the tower I'm coming and have me keep my squawk code when I
contact the tower. Does this have another name? Is this not normally
done at class D airports?

It's not particularly necessary, but it sure does save time. I got lost
on my first student cross-country solo, and it was a lot easier to ask
Approach for help, since I already had a squawk code, and, even though *I*
didn't know where I was, *they* already did. I could have contacted them
and gotten the same help, but it was faster since I was already - pardon
the expression - on their radar.

Flight following, by itself, is just traffic advisories.

Well, sure. But, as I said, if you're already in communication with ATC,
you can get assistance faster if you get lost.

.... Alan
--
Alan Gerber
PP-ASEL