Old July 3rd 03, 10:51 PM
Jack G

A couple of DC-10's were lost due to problems with the thrust bearing - one
major crash at Chicago - I don't have a reference handy for the others.
Lots of people refused to fly on DC-10's after the Chicago crash - prompting
the bumper sticker "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going".

Jack

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
David Lesher wrote:

"Gord Beaman" ) writes:

For instance, why
change the complete 'name' of a DC-10, which most people know and
can recognise, to MD-11?. Makes no good sense to me. Why not
MD-10, if McDonnell Douglas wanted their 'name' on them?, then us
older guys with fewer memory cells would have some chance.

The DC-10 has such a bad reputation that the new owners wanted to
sever the connection. (Hello., ValueJet....errr ATA)

Of course, it looks like the MD-11 was a dog of a different color,
but still barked; did it ever meet the performance guarantees? I
think not, which is how they ended up in freighter/tanker service,
including the one pronged in Hong Kong in ?99.

The DC-10 had a bad name?...they had a door problem 'way back,
one had a bad fire...what else?...I didn't know that ValuJet(sic)
used DC-10's. Seems to me if the military used them for tankers
that there couldn't have been that much wrong with them...care to
clue me in?...
--

-Gord.