Old January 17th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

Default Welding; How much undercut?

edge of the weld touching the beam is .01 inch)
· Undercut shall be no more than 1/32 inch deep for all other cases

Thanks, that's what i needed to know OK. But from a practical
standpoint, is it normal to have such an undercut on a weld? I would
imagine undercut would be a stress riser, for starters.

I was hoping someone would come along with some solid data on this one, but
if you are talking about an aircraft weld, I hesitate to think ANY undercut
should be acceptable.

Are you welding tubing or plate? Aluminum or steel? Gas, stick, mig or tig?

Usually, undercut is caused by a combination of factors. Weld speed, deposit
rate and weld position, are common factors.