Old July 4th 03, 07:14 AM
Tom Mosher

"Gord Beaman" ) wrote in message . ..
"Jack G" wrote:

A couple of DC-10's were lost due to problems with the thrust bearing - one
major crash at Chicago - I don't have a reference handy for the others.
Lots of people refused to fly on DC-10's after the Chicago crash - prompting
the bumper sticker "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going".

Jack

The thrust bearing?...what thrust bearing?...I sure never heard
of that one and I've heard of pretty well all of them. "The one
at Chicago" is likely the one (in 79) which lost the nr one
engine?...no fault of the a/c, that was improper engine/pylon
removal/installation which cracked the mounting flanges.

Surely you aren't referring to that?...if you are then what other
10 crashed from that problem?...Huh?.

It really bothers me when people lash out with vague halfbaked
reasons for trashing an aircraft. "Oh!...it's very unsafe",
"Why?", "Dunno, it just is". Freaking brilliant.

Where the hell did he come up with a bad thrust bearing? It was a bad
maintenance practice. AA at Tulsa M&E decided to shorten the
engine/pylon removal process by pulling the engine and pylon at the
same time. Unfortunately, it put stress in the wrong place and cracked
the structure. Eventually, the engine separated with catastrophic
results.

Tom Mosher