Old January 29th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dlevy

Default dirty oil

How fast does it burn oil? My engine had fine compression but the valve
hardware was worn out. The oil got black real quick. Let me guess.....
there was a period of inactivity? Do you foul plugs? When was the last
overhaul? In my case, the overhaul was 17 years old. It finally hiccuped
in cruise flight. I had it overhauled.

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

Definitely have an A&P borescope that engine. Broken ring maybe.

Talked to my mechanic this morning. He said not to worry; the dirty oil
is from the oil cooler and its plumbing, which don't get drained when the
oil is changed.

He said I would have noticed this before if I had ever checked it two
hours after a change. Since I check the oil before every flight, it seems
I would have noticed the oil's turning black this soon before.

Should I pay to have the cylinders 'scoped?

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM