Old February 1st 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Ash

Default A giant for a glider

t-tree wrote:
Hi please can someone help.

I am looking to find a suitable aircraft/club for a male ab initio
with no prior experience.
However he is 6'4 and 231lbs (16.5 stone) though medium build. and I
am uncertain that he will be able to fit into the front of a K13 for
instruction.
Does anyone know of anyone of similar height and build that has learnt
to fly a glider and if so was it a K13/21 etc?

I'm 6'2 and 200lbs, and I fit in our K21 nicely. It's pretty much a
perfect fit with the rudder pedals all the way forward, but I always have
to check my head before I close the canopy because if I'm sitting up too
much I'll bang my head when I close it. I could see the extra two inches
being a real problem.

A fellow student in my club is a bit larger than I am in all respects,
probably similar to your friend. I believe he has flown our K21 but he
much prefers our Grob 103 because it's significantly roomier. I have
plenty of clearance for my head and no trouble fitting in any other
dimension.

If you have a club that is reasonably close your best bet is probably to
just go and see if your friend will fit. I imagine a club would let a
prospective student do this before money changes hands.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software