Old February 22nd 07, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

Default Low fuel emergency in DFW

"Mike Schumann" wrote in message
.. .

The controller made an interesting suggestion that if the aircraft was
really that low on fuel he should divert to a closer airport. I would
suggest that it would be wise to get the full info before jumping to
conclussions.

Obviously one major question is where the aircraft was when the pilot
declared a fuel emergency. Once you declare an emergency, particularly if
you suspect a fuel leak, I would think you should land at the closest
available field. It is certainly conceivable that the pilot didn't want
the hassle of making an unscheduled landing, and was trying to streach it
to get to DFW.

I didn't jump to any conclusions. The pilot said he had an emergency, and
that he needed 17C at DFW. He was denied.