Old August 7th 03, 12:18 PM
The Raven

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
Brash wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

David Bromage wrote:

The RAAF's 35 F-111 warplanes - Australia's front-line strategic

strike
force - could be retired from service from 2006, a decade earlier

than
originally planned, if the Government accepts a controversial option

put
forward by the Defence Department. A key issue is whether early
retirement for the long-range F-111s could leave a gaping hole in
Australia's front-line defences early next decade.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55E601,00.html

Exactly who does Australia intend 'striking' ?

Ships and various targets belonging to "the enemy". I would have

thought
that was self-evident.

And just who might "the enemy" be ?

You reckon the Japs fancy having another go for sake of example ?

Why shouldn't a 60's design a/c be scrapped ?

Because its still better at what it does than anything else for its

cost.

Maybe that's so... but the task itself is obsolete.

Which country does Australia reckon it needs 'front-line a/c' to

defend
itself from ?

The one that decides it can threaten us or our interests.

Do please provide a candidate list.

In the unrealistic above event how would ancient F-111s perform ?

Better than a JSF without in-flight refuelling.

Can't say I recall seeing an F-111 perform vertical landing !

Only one of the three variants of JSF does VTOL and it's unlikely to be the
variant Australia would ever buy. Heck, the ADF would probably try to fit
another seat back in that lift-fan area.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3