Old March 29th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

Default Winds on approach

Conventional wisdom (as I see it) is to execute a miss if you lose the
glideslope, go around, prepare and brief the localizer approach, then do
it. Changing horses in midstream is not wise policy, especially in the
clouds and close to the ground. YMMV, but I'll never teach or advocate the
switch.

Bob Gardner

"Jose" wrote in message
You are timing your ILS approaches? Any reason for this? I can't find
anything in my 172P book that suggests 90 kts as an approach speed, even
in gusty winds. Seems fast to me.

IF one times their ILS, and loses the glideslope, one can often convert to
a localizer approach easily. And approach plates give canned timings for
various speeds, 90 knots is probably the best of the bunch for a 172. Of
course that's ground speed, not airspeed.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.