Old April 2nd 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Default Is it colder at the approach end of the runway?

On Apr 2, 12:09 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
I live near Sacramento where we have long periods of 100+ degree
temps. The gov't has been doing research here on the affect of asphalt
and roofs (not sure why) on temps. They fly a plane overhead in the
afternoon with sensitive heat detecting equipment. They seem to
believe the city is much hotter simply because of the pavement and the
roofs.

It seems logical.

In New York City, it's always 6-8 degrees warmer at night than the
suburbs, supposedly because of the heat held by the buildings.

Cheers,
Kev