Old April 3rd 07, 12:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll

Default Hellcat Mk I - NICE ! ! !

"Lynn in StLou" wrote in message
. ..
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Lynn in StLou" wrote in message
. ..
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Major snippage for brevity...

HMS Emperor is not listed among the participating ships of Operation
NEPTUNE in any capacity. No aircraft carriers are listed. There
wouldn't seem to be a need for them with thousands of land-based
aircraft
available.
The following is provided in another post...

t appears the carriers Tracker, Pursuer and Emperor were on U-boat
patrol
about 300 miles west of Normandy during the landings.

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/...-7.htm#cn417-3
This reference is titled *DEFENSIVE MEASURES --
NEPTUNE OPERATION* and in its footnotes mentions Tracker, Pursuer, and
Emperor. The document says they were part of a force provided by CinC
Western Approaches to counter U-boat movement from the north. That
does
not support your position that there were no aircraft carriers.

I didn't say there were no carriers, I said there were no carriers listed
among the participating ships of Operation NEPTUNE. If you have
information to the contrary please present it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Neptune

http://www.history.navy.mil/library/...-7.htm#cn417-3

As stated previously, the document says they were part of a force provided
by CinC
Western Approaches to counter U-boat movement from the north. It seems
rather clear that the Wikipedia list is incomplete.

All three carriers are credited with battle honors at Normandy.

Can you cite an official source for that assertion?

As official as Wikipedia....

http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive....RT/EMPEROR.htm

http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive....RT/PURSUER.htm

http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive....RT/TRACKER.htm

Battle honors are listed in the left sidebar.

I think you've lost track of the subject. The issue is not where the
carriers were on D-Day, but whether the Hellcat was used during the Normandy
invsasion. If you accept sources that indicate the carriers were nowhere
near Normandy you have to accept that their aircraft were not used during
the invasion.