Old August 13th 03, 05:27 PM
El Bastardo

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:58:12 +0000 (UTC), Jim Yanik
wrote:

Drewe Manton wrote in
.4:

Jim Yanik waxed lyrical
:

Ever notice the shooting sprees happen where it's supposed to be a

"gun-
free" zone?

And by the same standard nearly every "shooting spree" carried out,
at least here in the UK, was carried out using legally held, properly
licensed weapons. In spite of my extreme opposition to the handgun ban
in this country, I do find that fact pretty telling.
Big fan of gun *control*, fierce opponent of gun *bans* here.

That's probably because the ones who have illegal guns don't do 'shooting
sprees'. But don't the Yardies do 'drive-bys'? ISTR that they do a fair
amount of gun crime.

Your version of "gun control" is really *people* control,gun control is
hitting what you are firing at.

Of course "gun control" is also "people control," but it makes more
sense to call it "gun control" than "people control" because everybody
knows "guns" are used by "people."

If you just called it "people control," nobody would have any fricking
idea what was being discussed. This is because "people" use many
things besides "guns."

Yes, "gun control" could be confused with the physical positioning of
a gun by a person, rather than legislative or judicial control of a
society's access to fireamrs. But I bet I can think of a hell of a lot
more alternate meanings of "people control" than "gun control."

By the way, I do own guns and am against bans on gun ownership. I just
get annoyed when people try to politisize semantics. As if it really
matters whether one calls the glass half full or half empty.

The authorities ever catch who killed Jill Dando,BBC commentator?